Copywriting has never been more important
This is certainly the feeling I left "Who needs Copywriters?" with. This is, for some reason, the UK's only copywriting conference (and my one chance a year to be surrounded by fellow writers). I attended last year's conference. I thought it was pretty good so I went back for more. This year was even better.
Then various speakers (including but not limited to Roger Horberry, Ros Sinclair, David Levin and Andy Maslen) took us through some incredibly costly writing mistakes and embarrassing errors in advertising. Not to mention the vast benefits of getting it right in advertising, direct mail, social media, business writing, etc.
Some key copywriting tips of the day
- read everything
- just write. You can make it good later
- don't be boring
- create emotional interest
- proof read everything! Then proof read it again. And again
- inject KAVA into your writing
- take advantage of the Open Library
- start with a great strategy
- if you're struggling to come up with a decent strapline, try thinking of rhyme, alliteration, well known phrases, telling the truth, using the word "you" or challenging your audience
- follow @The_Dolphin_Pub. David Levin, the guy behind it, is brilliant
Job hunting tactics you need to know
We all know that job hunting can be daunting and a tad tedious, so I've gathered a couple of tips you can apply when on the hunt.
Awkward things clients say that drive you crazy
We've gathered some of the worst/hilarious/awkward things clients say to get it all out of your system in one fail swoop.
Distractions and focus
In this two-part piece, I'll help you focus on identifying the industry, company and role that will enable you to realise your potential.
Must-have skills for every graduate
Before you leave university, make sure you have developed these skills to show future employers.
Take a look at the these irresistibly creative portfolio designs for some serious inspiration.
FutureRising's playlist: Walking to work
For this week's playlist in our Spotify series, we're the soundtrack to your journey to the office, it's the 'Walking to Work' playlist.