Copywriting has never been more important
This is certainly the feeling I left "Who needs Copywriters?" with. This is, for some reason, the UK's only copywriting conference (and my one chance a year to be surrounded by fellow writers). I attended last year's conference. I thought it was pretty good so I went back for more. This year was even better.
Then various speakers (including but not limited to Roger Horberry, Ros Sinclair, David Levin and Andy Maslen) took us through some incredibly costly writing mistakes and embarrassing errors in advertising. Not to mention the vast benefits of getting it right in advertising, direct mail, social media, business writing, etc.
Some key copywriting tips of the day
- read everything
- just write. You can make it good later
- don't be boring
- create emotional interest
- proof read everything! Then proof read it again. And again
- inject KAVA into your writing
- take advantage of the Open Library
- start with a great strategy
- if you're struggling to come up with a decent strapline, try thinking of rhyme, alliteration, well known phrases, telling the truth, using the word "you" or challenging your audience
- follow @The_Dolphin_Pub. David Levin, the guy behind it, is brilliant
Interview tips you need to know
A step-by-step guide for first-time interviewees, or regular job hunters who need to sharpen their interview skills.
Big and bold: Graphic designer creates CV with a twist
This graphic designer's reinvented CV and portfolio will make you rethink your own.
Donut trickery lands guy 10 job interviews
Lukas Yla set out to bag his dream tech job a little differently to how most of us would do it by sending tech giants a box of donuts.
Five quick job application tips to remember
Abed Lame, a sixth form college student at St. Charles, writes about his five top tips for students looking to get on the job ladder or looking to apply for apprenticeships.
When I’m A Dad
Tom Anders, an ex advertising student from the University of Lincoln won himself a D&AD Black Pencil in 2015, thanks to his heart warming entry 'When I'm A Dad'.
5 tips to help you cope with finding a placement
Matt Adams, an advertising student at Bournemouth University, shares his top tips for people looking for work placements.