Sorry, that heading might be a tad misleading in that you can't. It's impossible. And trying to please everyone will be your downfall.
Advertising/design/etc are all unbelievably subjective and different people like to see different things.
These are just some of the things I've been told at book crits:
- Stop showing me advertising. I want to see a bunch of random projects and quirky creative stuff that you enjoy doing so I can see how you mind works.
- Anything that isn't advertising, get rid off. I don't want to see it.
- We want to see crazy stuff like weird contrasting tones of voice. What if you were to use swear words in a lollipop ad?
- This is bad because it is not how this brand would advertise.
- Campaign A is the best thing in your book, but campaign B needs more work.
- Campaign A isn't very good but I love campaign B.
- This is nice. You should mock it up.
- You shouldn't be showing me any mocked up stuff. Just scamps.
So how do you produce a book that will get you a job?
Here's a tip. Find out where you want to work, or who you want to work with first. Look for a place that produces the kind of work that you would like to be doing. You may know exactly where you want to work or you may not. It may require going for a series of book crits around the industry to get a feeling for certain places or people.
Once you find the place, latch on. Keep working on your portfolio and keep going back to them. You'll very quickly learn what they like and dislike and you'll be able to tailor your work specifically to them.
Artist Anna Lomax combines the bold and the beautiful
Anna Lomax, artist and designer combines weird and wonderful objects to complete her vision.
I am not a robot
The best way to prove you are 'Not a Robot' is to prove you are 'a Human' - that's the message these students want to send.
What makes a great cover letter?
Cover letters are vital in applications. It’s one of the first things employers see, so you must make yourself stand out. How can you do that?
How to stand out at your internship
You have finally been accepted for your dream internship, but how do you stand out from the crowd?
How can I put my CV onto one page?
Employers look for one page CVs so we have compiled top tips to help you easily shorten your CV.
FutureRising's Playlist: Friday Office Feeling
For this week's playlist in our Spotify series, we're the soundtrack to your office fun with the 'Friday Office Feeling' playlist.