12 rules of modern account management from my experience working in the creative industries and as a founding partner at Semaphore London.
A homage to David Ogilvy.
1. Don’t be a passenger – have a point of view
2. Create the environment in which ‘great’ creative work can be made
3. Understand your client's business, its customers and how they make money
4. Set the standards - be organised, on time and energised
5. Be honest and direct
6. Challenge everyone and everything - no-one has the answers or can predict the future
7. Don’t blindly follow strategists, especially if all they have is a Venn diagram
8. Don’t pander to creative work without ideas – social media is not an idea
9. Own the meeting – all of it. The conversation, agenda, IT, content and outcomes
10. Don’t be ‘best‘ friends with the clients no matter how hot, good or nice they are – they won’t like you when you have to negotiate fees
11. Remember the effort ratio 75% internal / 25% external – clients can only buy what you serve up
12. If you have to wear a suit to a corporate meeting, don’t wear any pants – Fuck 'em
Big and bold: Graphic designer creates CV with a twist
This graphic designer's reinvented CV and portfolio will make you rethink your own.
Donut trickery lands guy 10 job interviews
Lukas Yla set out to bag his dream tech job a little differently to how most of us would do it by sending tech giants a box of donuts.
Five quick job application tips to remember
Abed Lame, a sixth form college student at St. Charles, writes about his five top tips for students looking to get on the job ladder or looking to apply for apprenticeships.
When I’m A Dad
Tom Anders, an ex advertising student from the University of Lincoln won himself a D&AD Black Pencil in 2015, thanks to his heart warming entry 'When I'm A Dad'.
5 tips to help you cope with finding a placement
Matt Adams, an advertising student at Bournemouth University, shares his top tips for people looking for work placements.
We Wish you a Merry Critmas
#MerryCritmas: Save A Turkey, Roast a Creative. This Christmas professionals in the advertising industry are giving the gift of a portfolio crit to all those in needs.