We spoke to Ricky Richards, film director at Vixenkick, designer and art director, about his experiences in the creative industries and what advice he can offer to young people looking to follow in his footsteps. Ricky holds nothing back as he gives his fresh take on the advertising industry and explains how you can be disruptive and stand out. Ricky also talks about how he met Graham Fink.
"Get yourself in a circle of people who are all doing great things."
If you're looking for advice in a particular area, jump to that question using the following timings.
- Landing your first job (00:00 mins)
- Meeting Graham Fink (01:07 mins)
- Breaking free of design (02:25 mins)
- Getting into film (03:46 mins)
- Challenges in Advertising (04:55 mins)
- Making things happen (06:48 mins)
- Having a mentor (07:18 mins)
- Coming up with ideas (08:25 mins)
- Successful people (08:48 mins)
- What drives Ricky (09:27 mins)
- Ricky's future projects (10:04 mins)
- Who Ricky would most like to work with (10:38 mins)
- If Ricky had an extra day each week (11:05 mins)
For more careers advice and help getting into advertising, check out our guide to the advertising industry.
Abadir Hashi, Architecture Graduate, Ravensbourne
Abadir talks about studying Architecture at Ravensbourne and his experiences as a freelance graphic designer.
Daniel Bottiglieri, Head of Marketing, Brainlabs
Daniel Bottiglieri had a somewhat unconventional path into the creative industries, from Leicester, Oxford to Brainlabs.
Danielle Griffiths, Freelance Stylist & Author
Danielle Griffiths, has over 15 years Fashion industry experience, having graduated from Westminster University with a BA in Fashion in 2001. We dig a little deeper to understand how Danielle started out.
Nicolas Schwabach, Copywriter & Translator
Nicolas Schwabach, is London born with over 25 years agency experience in England, Saudi Arabia and Germany working on international brands as well as for small businesses.
Ben Carpenter, Account Executive, R/GA
Ben Carpenter, an account executive at R/GA talks to us about his job, how he ended up in advertising and what tips he has for people trying to get into the industry.
Mark Manning, Client Partner, Huge
We catch up with Mark Manning, a client partner at agency Huge where he is in charge of a range of accounts across a variety of industries.